Sunday, April 5, 2015

The One We Lost


*Trigger warning: The following post describes pregnancy loss/miscarriage

*Regarding language: I believe that life begins at conception. Throughout this post, I use the word "baby" to describe what I've lost, because both my head and my heart agree that an unborn human life, regardless of race, sex, circumstance, disability or development, is just that: a baby.

The words "The one we lost" are scribbled in sharpie on a positive pregnancy test that I can't make myself throw out. I've always been a bit of a pack rat, as well as sentimental. I can't let myself dispose of the test that confirmed the pregnancy my body rejected, my heart won't let me. 

I don't really know what to say about having a miscarriage. I don't even know what I feel concerning it most of the time. I do know that I need to write down the jumbled mess in my head and my heart, and I hope that in doing so I'll gain some insight and maybe even help someone who is (or has, or will) go through this too. I personally haven't felt comfortable talking about it with more than a couple of people. I don't know of many women who've experienced this in the first place, and I haven't wanted to overstep boundaries or dredge up miseries. I've been sort of flailing over the past weeks. Trying to wrestle these pent-up emotions into submission but not accomplishing anything, just exhausting myself. So, maybe the thing to do is put it all down on (virtual) paper, and maybe by the end I'll have learned something. 

I'm not much of a planner, but Danny and I decided to start trying for a second baby around December of 2014. "Passively trying" is probably more accurate, as we weren't really in any hurry. We had hoped to conceive around February, because then our children's birthdays would be about 6 months apart (Ruby's birthday being in April). It turned out we were lucky, and did conceive in February. It was late in the month when I took the test that confirmed I was having another baby. I was excited, but it was a milder excitement than for my first pregnancy. I guess because I'd done this before and mostly knew what to expect, both good and bad. I told my mom, close cousins and friends right away, but decided to wait for my first appointment and ultrasound to make it "Facebook  Official". 
For two weeks, everything was fine. I was tired and irritable but otherwise completely normal. Then it wasn't. Late on a Sunday night, Danny and Roo were asleep but I was up and puttering around as usual. I went to the bathroom and what I saw made my entire body go cold. Blood.

Truth be told, I am a worst-case-scenario worrier. It's a tendency I'm well aware of and strive to curb. My instant reaction was to panic, but logic kicked in and told me to calm the eff down. Hands shaking, I sat down at the computer and started searching. 

Signs of miscarriage

Miscarriage in early pregnancy

Early pregnancy miscarriage symptoms 

They all basically told me the same thing: mild cramping, spotting, loss of pregnancy symptoms. However, these signs could also mean nothing whatsoever. Some women just have spotting. Cramping can be a symptom of the egg implanting. I was pretty much in limbo. Could be something, could be nothing. Wait and see. I texted my mom and cousin, hoping one or both were awake, but they weren't. I spent the next couple of hours crying and panicking and pacing and praying. At some point, Danny briefly woke and I told him what I'd seen and what it could mean. By then I'd somewhat composed myself, and (thankfully) Danny was really only half awake and aware of what I was telling him, so his reaction was more rational than mine. 
The next morning I made an appointment to have an ultrasound for that coming Thursday. My doctors' office assured me that the symptoms I was having crop up literally every day and are usually nothing. It made me feel a teeny bit better. The blood didn't stop, though. I spent the week in a sort of daze. Trying to be/feel/act normal. I told a couple of people about what was happening, but I didn't want to scare anyone if it turned out to be nothing. Maybe I was just being stupid. Maybe I was just being dramatic. There was more blood each day. By the time Thursday arrived, I was ready for bad news. 
I have the amazing advantage of having my brother-in-law, Chris, do my ultrasounds. Having someone I love and trust there to give me the news, good or bad, is an amazing comfort. What I learned that day wasn't what I expected. He couldn't give me any definitive answers. I was measuring five weeks instead of seven, which could be lack of development or just a later implantation than we thought. The blood could be bad, but it could still also be nothing. Limbo. Again. I was going to have to return the next week for a second ultrasound to find out for sure what was going on.
The second week was a little better. Or maybe it was worse. I still didn't know anything for sure, but that was also hopeful. Maybe there had been two babies and one didn't make it but the other was fine. Probably not, but maybe. There was still a lot of blood. I knew there was way too much of it for things to be completely okay, but I tried not to dwell. Two friends announced their own pregnancies that week, both as far along as I was supposed to be. It bummed me out. I wasn't angry or resentful, but it felt awful to be so saddened by someone else's great news. Danny was a steadfast comfort, despite being as helpless in the situation as I was. He listened. He held me when I needed it, and let me rest when I needed that. He's consistently and quietly supportive, and I'm grateful to have a partner that senses what I need and is willing to give what he can. 
When Thursday came around again, I found myself all nerves. My stomach was roiling and I just wanted to get the appointment over with, no matter the outcome. I put on my game face (winged eyeliner, red lipstick) and tried to remain as normal as possible. When I got to the office, the receptionist told me [the other ultrasound tech] would be there shortly, and I flipped. My heart started beating rabbit-fast, my face got hot, I felt light-headed. I thought I was going to start crying or maybe even faint in the middle of the office. I don't think I was having a full-blown panic attack, but it was as close to one as I've ever been. I could handle bad news from Chris. I could hear it from him and walk out of there strong and composed, for at least a minute or two. I didn't think I could take the news from someone else. Thankfully, a few scant seconds later, I could hear Chris's voice through the door. The relief I felt was incredible. Heart rate back to normal, eyes swimming, but no tears falling. It was time. 

I knew what he would tell me. 

I'd known, really, from that first night. I'd allowed myself some hope, but I really did know I wasn't pregnant anymore. Lying back, looking at that screen I allowed two tears, one from each eye, to escape before I pulled myself together. I was going to fall apart, but I could hold off a little bit longer. I'd already managed it for two weeks. As I prepared to leave the office, Chris gave me a rare but welcomed hug. One nurse told me it would all be for the best. I know some people are bothered by that sentiment, but I'm not. It was kindly meant, and I'll take kindness in any form it comes in. Another girl smiled at me and said she knew I'd be back in a few months. I don't really know if I appeared as unruffled and composed as I tried to. I managed to walk out of there with (what I hoped was) a mild expression and dry cheeks. Once I was outside, though, all composure was lost. Despite there being several people in the parking lot, I couldn't hold the torrent of emotion back a second longer. The sobs that racked my body were uncontrollable. I was somehow able to walk blindly to my car and get in before collapsing into all the feelings I'd been suppressing for weeks. I don't know how long I cried, but it felt like a lengthy stretch of time. I couldn't control it: I just had to let go and let it all out. I didn't even feel better when I finally stopped, instead tired and helpless and confused. Truthfully, that's how I felt the entire time, and it's still how I feel now (a week and a half out from the confirmation of miscarriage). I feel like I forgot something important and missed out on something amazing because of it. I have a constant anxiety and mild simmering anger. The part that's most frustrating is that it's directionless. I'm not mad at anyone or anything, I'm just mad. I'm not stressed out about anything, I'm just stressed. I'm sad, but I almost feel guilty for being sad. I lost something, but I didn't have it long. Plenty of women lose babies much further along than I was. Babies that have names and belongings. Those women deserve to feel sad, but do I? Really? 
I feel stupid for feeling so shitty. I feel stupid for feeling stupid. I wonder if I really feel any of this or if I'm just being over-dramatic. I'm kind of a mess. Most of the time I'm totally fine, then out of nowhere I'm crying and there are so many tears I'm amazed my eyes can make so many and so fast. I often don't even know why I'm crying or what I'm feeling. I don't know how long this will last, or if I'm grieving. Am I? I think I am. Maybe. Maybe it's just the leftover hormones. Mostly, I have no answers. I'm trying to be okay with that. I try to remind myself that it's okay to be confused. To feel sad. Scared. Angry. Numb. Anxious. Ambivalent. Relieved. Stupid. Guilty. I'm pretty sure it's all normal. 
I don't know when I'll feel okay enough to put this out into the world. I know I will eventually, because I wish I could have read about someone else's experience when I was dealing with it. Maybe this will help someone. Maybe it will only help me. I think that might be enough. 


I debated with myself whether or not to share these photos, mostly because I was afraid of seeming like a self-obsessed weirdo. It's not really my business what other people think of me though, so here they are. I took this shortly before my second ultrasound. I wanted to feel calm and strong and confident, but I didn't. I settled for looking like it instead. The woman in this photo looks so unruffled and unafraid, but that's a lie. It's sort of strange, looking at this and knowing that at that moment I was sick with nerves. You'd never know it by my face. 


This was taken after. After I'd cried and cried and then managed to get ahold of myself enough to drive, I pulled down the visor mirror knowing I would need to wipe my face and was startled when I saw myself. I looked kind of crazy, and desperately sad, but everything on my face was real. I took this photo, wanting to remember that flood of emotion (and to invest in waterproof eyeliner) even though it hurt at the time. When I look at this one now, I see sadness but also strength. I AM that woman, and I'm okay. It still sucks sometimes, but I deal and keep going. 

To everyone who previously knew of all this and offered me a kind word, a prayer, or listening ear, thank you. From the depths of my heart, thank you. 


*** Update: since writing this, my emotional state has improved dramatically. The week after I initially wrote the above post, I went back and revised it a little each day, and then left it. I had a couple small anxiety attacks, probably due to suppressing my emotions those couple of weeks (you'd think after watching Frozen 8,673 times I'd know better than "conceal, don't feel" but apparently I wasn't paying attention), but now I'm pretty much back to my normal self. We still hope to add to our family, but I certainly won't be stressing about it. It will happen or it won't. Either way, I'll be just fine. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your courage, your grace and your passions with us. So many of us have walked this journey without means to express and here you have with such beauty. Thank you.
    I suspect you and Danny will have many more creations of all kinds in the future. The wisdom you've gained through this experience will no doubt be present in future artistic endeavors..

    Peace to you my FB friend,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you my sweet niece... and am looking forward to the next lunch when you hand a positive pregnancy test across the table and we all giggle and celebrate with you again... just as we have all cried (albeit, separately) with you at this loss. You are strong and confident and a remarkable young woman... love you and I'm proud of you! This WILL happen again, with a totally different outcome... of that I am sure. Hugs to you, Danny and Roodle-bug!
    Aunt Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Aunt Kayla! That lunch is still a great memory, despite what came later. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. I have had two sisters who both have said the same thing. It is a lonely time and you wish you could reach out to others. You did a beautiful job of describing the raw emotions and I thank you for that. I do believe that your openness will help others someday.
    P.S. from one Frozen mom to another, I had to chuckle at your "conceal, don't feel" comment.

    ReplyDelete